Many people run to get fit but don’t think of swimming as another major route to a healthier lifestyle. What a mistake!
Why does swimming need to be part of your lifestyle:
• 30 minutes of steady-paced lane swimming burns over 200 calories – well over 400 in an hour.
• Any swimming that makes you breath more heavily counts as “moderate” activity. Even treading water takes effort, so you are working most of the time you are in the pool.
• The pressure and resistance of the water makes your body work that little bit harder. That means 30 minutes of activity in the water is worth 45 minutes of the same activity on land.
• The water takes your weight, so swimming can be great for people who have mobility problems or want to protect their joints.
• Swimming works your whole body for overall toning.
• Swimming is great for your heart. Because you are using your whole body your heart has to pump blood to your arms and legs, helping circulation too.
• It is also great for your lungs – length swimming in particular forces you to breath in a deep and rhythmic way which gives your lungs a boost.
• Being in water can have great psychological benefits too – the pool can “take you away from it all” and the feeling of being in water can be refreshing, relaxing and liberating as the water takes your weight.
So make swimming part of your healthy lifestyle and come along to Teddington Pools & Fitness Centre today. Swimming is available on a pay-as-you-go basis or a monthly membership that will save you money.
Click here for more information or call Teddington Pools & Fitness Centre on 020 8977 9911.